Copper Sulfate FAQ
1. Can I pour Copper Sulfate into skimmer to get rid of algae in the pool or do I have to put it in the pool directly?
You could pour Copper Sulfate into the skimmer or put it in the pool directly and both ways should work just fine to help clean the pool and get rid of algae.
2. What percent copper is this formulation? I've seen variation from 25% to 99% in the products.
Greenway Biotech, Inc. Copper Sulfate contains 25.1% Copper (Cu). There is no such Copper Sulfate that contains 99% Copper and 99% refers to the purity of the product and not active ingredient percentage.
3. Is Greenway Biotech Copper Sulfate certified organic and/or OMRI listed?
No, our Copper Sulfate is not certified to be used in organic gardening.
4. How much Copper Sulfate should I use in freshwater aquaculture, ponds, and lagoons to prevent or reduce algae problem?
It really depends on the alkalinity of the water. Below is the formula to calculate exactly how much Copper Sulfate to use:
Total Alkalinity (PPM) / 100 = Copper Sulfate Needed (PPM)
Example: If the alkalinity of a pond is 200 PPM then:
200 / 100 = 2 PPM Copper Sulfate needed = 2 milligrams in 1 liter.
If the pond is 100,000 litres then you need a total of 200 grams of Copper Sulfate
5. How much does 1 cup of Copper Sulfate crystal weigh?
1 cup of Copper Sulfate weighs about 0.7 pounds.
6. how do I suppose to use it for roots growing inside the toilet pipes?
We recommend pouring half a cup of Copper Sulfate in your toilet or pipe and flushing until all the Copper Sulfate is gone. It is more effective if you apply half a cup a day for several days till the pipes are completely open and all the roots are gone compared to applying a larger amount only once or twice.
7. I just had my septic line routered after having it done last year also. Can I use this for routine maintenance on a septic system?
Yes, you certainly can. Copper Sulfate is the perfect product to maintain septic lines to prevent algae/root growth.
8. Can I use Copper Sulfate to kill the tree stump?
Yes, you could use Copper Sulfate to burn out tree stumps, which then could be removed.
9. Can I use Copper Sulfate to get rid of the roots in PVC pipes?
Yes, not only Copper Sulfate will get rid of the roots in pipes, but it also gets rid of organisms that produce often malodors.
10. How do you use Copper Sulfate to get rid of fungus (lichens) on trees?
You could dissolve copper sulfate in water and spray the trees. However, you need to apply this from late spring to early fall as this will not work in cooler months.
11. How do you use Copper Sulfate to remove algae from the lawn grass? And will it hurt the grass?