Calcium Nitrate Fertilizer 15.5-0-0 (Ammonia Calcium Nitrate 15.5-0-0)
Calcium Nitrate Fertilizer Application Rate:
Foliar Application: Mix 2-4 tablespoons per 1 gallon of water and spray the leaves with it.
Side Dressing Application: Apply 1 pound per 100 feet of row (1 cup per 50 feet of row or 1 level tablespoonful per plant). Apply to root growing area. Do not place within 2 inches of stalk or crown of plants. Do not allow contact with wet foliage.
On Apples: Ground application broadcast under the tree. Use at a rate of 1/2 pound for each year of tree growth to a maximum of 8 pounds per tree. Apply in February or apply in split applications in February and October.
Note: Calcium Nitrate may be used as a foliar spray as an aid in the reduction of blossom end rot in tomatoes and peppers. Apply with cover sprays every other week until 2 or 3 weeks before harvest using 3 pounds per hundred gallons of spray. Calcium Nitrate is compatible with most insecticides and fungicides used on vegetables, floral crops and fruit crops. Do not use in combination with sulfates.
Related Blog Posts:
- What's the Function of Nitrogen (N) in Plants?
- What's the Function of Calcium (Ca) in Plants?
- Fertilizer Toxicity vs. Nutrient Deficiency: Spotting the Difference in Your Plants
Frequently Asked Questions:
Calcium Nitrate is a colorless anhydrous salt and when combined with ammonium nitrate forms Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN) used majorly as a fertilizer and also in cold packs. It is among the few fertilizers that are hygroscopic.
Calcium Ammonium Nitrate is used as a nitrogen fertilizer in agriculture especially in acid soils for its mode of action is acidifying soils.
It is made up of 15.5% Nitrogen and 19% Calcium. Calcium Nitrate fertilizer enhances plants photosynthesis, reduces the soil acidity thus promoting the development of microorganisms in the soil that aid in the nitrogen fixation. Calcium Nitrate 15.5-0-0 (Ammonium Calcium Nitrate) is an important fertilizer that plays a big role in the maintenance of healthy cell walls in plants, because of its higher solubility in the soil, it helps the plants in absorbing other important nutrients in the soil.
Calcium Nitrate fertilizer 15.5-0-0 also helps in water regulation in plant tissues, improvement and enhancement in photosynthesis, and also protecting the plants from biochemical stresses. This helps plants like tomato and apple produce healthy fruits. Additionally, Calcium Nitrate fertilizer 15.5-0-0 is largely used in hydroponics growers who use it to dilute it into feeding tubes to nourish plants growing in water indoors.
- Calcium Nitrate enhances uptake of potassium, magnesium, and calcium from the soil, as these are positively charged and fixed in the soil. The negative charge of nitrate releases them from soil and thus promotes their uptake as the solution of calcium nitrate sprayed on leaves to roots also.
- Nitrate increases soil pH, a combined effect of increased pH and strengthening of cell walls by calcium controls cluck root disease in brassica crops.
- Foliar spray of Calcium Nitrate fertilizer during critical growth stages prevents bitter pit in apples, end rot in tomatoes and peppers, and flowering and fruit dropping.