Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
Posted on December 06 2016
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 (12 to 14-ounce) package extra firm tofu (do not use silken)
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit if sensitive to spice)
- 4 green onions, finely sliced, divided
- 8 large inner leaves romaine lettuce (from a romaine heart) or butter lettuce leaves
- Optional for serving: Grated carrots, additional red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again. Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off and the tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions, grated carrots, and additional red pepper flakes as desired. Enjoy immediately.